People who have been in a car accident often wonder if they need to hire a personal injury attorney. The answer depends on the circumstances, and not everyone that has been in a car accident needs an attorney. If you are not sure whether you need a car accident attorney, you should reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney that handles car accident cases to discuss the facts of your accident. Fort Lauderdale based law firm Englander Peebles has extensive experience in personal injury law in South Florida. Englander Peebles provides victims of car accidents with a free and confidential initial consultation.
The first order of business after getting into a car accident is deciding whether you want to deal with the insurance company by yourself instead of retaining a lawyer to do it for you. If you were injured, and the other driver was at fault, that driver’s insurance company might tell you that it will take care of you and that you don’t need an attorney. However, you should take steps to protect yourself and consider the following issues first.
You should consider retaining an attorney in circumstancing, including the following:
- The car accident resulted in hospitalization and/or rehabilitative treatment.
- You sustained permanent injuries with including spinal or bone fractures or extensive scarring.
- You sustained back, neck, bone, or muscular injuries.
- You were injured by a driver who was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The accident resulted in the death of an immediate family member or a loved one.
- You were injured by a commercial vehicle or a tractor-trailer.
- The at-fault driver or his or her insurance company is saying the accident was your fault when you know you were not at fault or are not sure.
- You are unsure as to who is at fault in the accident.
- You were injured by a driver who is uninsured or is underinsured and you have an Uninsured Motorist Policy.
- You were seriously injured in a car accident.
Floridas Statute of Limitations
If you need a car accident lawyer, it is better to hire one as soon as possible to avoid any costly mistakes due to delays. The deadline for filing personal injury lawsuits is called the statute of limitations. In general, a person should contact an attorney shortly after the accident, and waiting too long may forever compromise your legal rights.
Contact a South Florida Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a car accident, Englander Peebles is here to help you through this difficult time. Our experienced personal injury lawyer is handling cases throughout the state of Florida. Our attorneys know how to advocate fiercely for a client’s rights both in and out of court. You may contact our law firm for a free initial consultation by calling (954) 231-1384 or by completing our online contact form today.