Every day, accidents happen throughout Florida. They happen while at home, in restaurants, bars, stadiums, universities, swimming pools, and even places of work. Some accidents are caused by unfortunate natural events. However, some are caused by the negligent actions or inactions of other parties.
At Englander Peebles, our Port St. Lucie legal team has extensive experience in personal injury cases. We’ve been offering aggressive representation to our Florida clients, ensuring they get the justice and compensation they deserve. If you’ve been involved in a personal injury case, including an auto accident or a workplace accident, you should hire an experienced Port St. Lucie personal injury lawyer immediately.
Contact us today for a free case review. Our knowledgeable legal team is ready to protect your rights. Remember, you don’t pay any upfront fees for our legal services.
Table of Contents
What Should I Do After an Injury?
The seconds, minutes, and hours after an injury can be overwhelming. You may be confused and disoriented. You can build a strong personal injury claim in Port St. Lucie, FL, by following certain steps after your injury. They include:
- Your health and safety are the most important things after an injury. Make sure you seek medical care immediately after your injury. Don’t forget to keep a record of your symptoms and hospital visits.
- Photographic evidence can go a long way to prove fault and liability after an accident. Take any photos or videos of the scene, including hazards and visible injuries.
- Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses. Their testimonies may help shed light on what happened and prove that the defendant’s negligence caused your injuries.
- Call the police if you’ve been involved in a car accident. They’ll provide official documentation about your incident. Some insurance companies may deny your claim if you don’t report your accident to the police.
- For workplace accidents, notify your employer about your injury. This should be done as soon as possible. You have 30 days to report your workplace accident to your employer. If you don’t do so, you lose your right to any workers’ compensation benefits.
- Never admit fault for an accident. Insurance adjusters are always looking for the slightest admission of fault to deny your claim. A simple apology after an accident may land you in trouble.
- You should contact a reputable personal injury lawyer in Port St. Lucie to deal with the insurance company after your accident. At Englander Peebles, we will help you understand your legal options as we protect your rights.
Why do I Need a Lawyer?
Personal injury laws are complicated. You can’t master them in a week and hope to represent yourself successfully. Insurance companies will take advantage of you and deny your claim or offer a lowball settlement. Here’s why you should hire Englander Peebles to represent you:
Case Preparation / Filing a Claim
Our trusted lawyers will comprehensively investigate all aspects of your Port St. Lucie personal injury case. We will gather and analyze evidence such as medical records, police reports, and witness statements to prove fault. Our attorneys will also determine the value of your case and file a claim on time.
At Englander Peebles, we are ready to aggressively negotiate with the insurer’s lawyers and insurance adjusters to maximize your compensation. We are skilled negotiators who won’t rest until you get the best settlement for your personal injury claim.
Trial Preparation & Representation
At times, negotiations don’t work out. Our personal injury lawyers in Port St. Lucie won’t accept anything short of what you deserve. If we hit a dead end, we will file a lawsuit to convince the judge and jury that you deserve a full and fair settlement for your personal injury.
What Type of Damages Can I Recover?
You have the right to sue any liable party in a personal injury claim. If the defendant’s negligent or reckless actions led to your injury, you might be entitled to recover damages such as:
These damages are directly linked to your injuries. They are easily verifiable through receipts and bills. They include:
- Medical bills such as hospital trips, surgery costs, physical therapy, and prescriptions
- Property damage
- Loss of earning capacity
- Lost wages
These damages are harder to assess. You require the help of a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer in Port St. Lucie to evaluate these damages. They include:
- Mental anguish
- Reputational damage
- Pain and suffering
These damages are also known as exemplary damages. They aren’t awarded in every personal injury case. Punitive damages are awarded in cases of gross negligence or intentional harm. They are capped at $500,000.00 in the state of Florida.
How is Liability Determined?
The state of Florida applies the pure comparative negligence system when determining fault. Here, parties in an accident are apportioned percentages of fault. According to this system, you may be able to recover damages even though you are 99% to blame for an accident. You’ll be entitled to receive 1% of the damages.
At Englander Peebles, our competent Port St. Lucie personal injury lawyers will use these four elements to prove fault:
- Duty of Care: Was there any legal duty of care between the involved parties?
- Breach of Duty of Care: Did the defendant violate this duty?
- Causation: Did the defendant’s actions or inaction result in your injury?
- Damages: Did you incur damages such as lost income, medical expenses, and mental anguish as a result of the accident?
Our legal team will work tirelessly to prove liability. We won’t rest until we link the defendant’s reckless actions to your injury.
How Much Time Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Florida?
Florida’s statute of limitations states that you have four years to file a personal injury claim. This time limit applies from the date of injury. You also have four years to file a property damage claim in Florida. If you don’t file your claim within this period, Florida’s civil courts will bar you from receiving any compensation.
Personal Injury Claims Process
Our reliable law firm in Port St. Lucie will guide you throughout every step of the claims process. First, we will conduct a thorough and independent investigation into your case to determine if you have a case. Next, we will analyze all pieces of evidence to determine fault as well as the value of your claim. Our legal team will also assess the extent of your injuries.
Once we are done, we will file a demand letter with the defendant’s insurance company. Our Port St. Lucie personal injury law firm will handle settlement talks on your behalf to ensure you get what you are entitled to. Englander Peebles is prepared to represent you in court if an out-of-court settlement isn’t feasible.
How Much Will a Port St. Lucie Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
Different law firms have different fee payment methods for their cases. At Englander Peebles, we don’t charge any flat fees, retainers, or hourly rates for representation. Instead, we operate on a contingency fee basis. Here, you don’t pay any upfront fees for our legal services. We only get paid once we win your personal injury case.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle at Englander Peebles
Our legal team can help you with various personal injury cases in Port St. Lucie, FL, including:
- Car Accidents: Car accidents happen every day on our roads. Actions such as distracted driving, speeding, and drunk driving are some of the causes of accidents in Florida.
- Truck Accidents: These accidents usually result in severe injuries or even death. This is due to the weight and size of these trucks.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcyclists can suffer severe injuries, including concussions, spinal cord injuries, fractures, and burns, when they collide with other vehicles. Head-on collisions may result in instant death.
- Uber Accidents: If you’ve been involved in a ridesharing accident, our personal injury lawyers can guide you on how to deal with ridesharing claims.
- Slip & Fall Accidents: Slip & fall accidents can result in severe injuries, including bone fractures and spinal cord injuries.
- Dog Bites: A dog bite can cause infections, nerve and muscle damage, rabies, bone fractures, scarring, and even death. You may be entitled to damages if a dog has bitten you.
- Premises Liability: Landlords and store owners have a responsibility to ensure their properties are safe. If you are injured on premises such as a school, a restaurant, or a residential building, you can file a personal injury claim.
- Product Liability: Defective products, including toys and electronics, can result in severe injuries. Reach out to a seasoned personal injury lawyer near Port St. Lucie to find out if you have a case against a defective product manufacturer.
- Wrongful Death: No amount of compensation or jail time may bring your loved one back. Still, you shouldn’t let any negligent party walk scot-free. A wrongful death claim may be what you need for closure. It may also help you offset your loved one’s financial gap.
- Catastrophic Injuries: These injuries may require long-term ongoing treatment and affect your earning capacity. They include injuries to the brain and spine.
Contact Our Port St. Lucie Personal Injury Lawyers For A Free Case Review
An injury can completely change your life. If you believe another party’s negligence caused your injury, you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney in Port St. Lucie, FL, immediately.
Englander Peebles can help you get the justice and compensation you deserve. Don’t hesitate to contact us. You don’t pay anything unless we win! Call (954) 231-1384 now to get started. We are available 24/7!