A slip and fall accident in Port St. Lucie can completely change your life. It can result in severe injuries such as ligament injuries, bone fractures, or traumatic brain injury. The recovery process could also take a while. You may need several months or even years to recover from your slip and fall accident. Sometimes, injury victims are never the same again. You should reach out to an experienced Port St. Lucie slip & fall accident lawyer if you believe someone else is to blame for your accident. Englander Peebles will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your case to establish liability. We will protect your legal rights as we fight for maximum compensation for your medical expenses and other damages.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, you might be entitled to damages. Englander Peebles represents Florida residents in slip and fall cases, ensuring they get the justice they deserve. Call our personal injury lawyers today at (954) 231-1384 to book your free case review.
Table of Contents
What Are the Most Common Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents happen due to lots of reasons in Florida. However, if your injury is due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Some of the most common reasons why slip and fall accidents happen include:
- Uneven floors due to a foundation shift may make it hard to navigate
- Wet floors, walkways, or staircases due to standing water from improperly cleaned floors, leaky windows, or rainy walkways
- Cracked or raised sidewalks due to construction projects, time, or the weather
- Inadequate lighting makes it difficult for anyone to navigate. You could easily trip and fall when walking in inadequately lit walkways or hallways.
- Rickety or broken railings and malfunctioning escalators could easily make your trip and fall
- Spills in stores, nursing homes, hospitals, or restaurants that aren’t cleaned up could result in slip and fall accidents
- Weather-related conditions, including snow and ice, that aren’t cleaned up or salted promptly
- Lack of gutters, anti-slip devices, or storm drains during snowfall or heavy rains, resulting in hazardous conditions
- Lack of signs to warn visitors about dangerous situations or conditions
How Can a Port St. Lucie Slip and Fall Attorney Help Me With My Case?
If you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident, you should contact a seasoned personal injury lawyer to help you with your case. Englander Peebles will guide you from the start to the end of your claim. Here’s how our reputable Florida law firm can help:
- Our legal team will review all the details of your case during our free initial consultation. We will advise you on the best options for your claim.
- We will then launch an independent investigation into the accident. Our attorneys will gather and analyze all relevant pieces of evidence to prove negligence.
- Englander Peebles will evaluate the extent of your injuries as well as the value of your claim. Our experienced lawyers will identify all sources and types of compensation for your claim.
- Document all damages and losses after your slip and fall accident. We will use your pay stubs, medical records, and other evidence to prove your damages.
- Englander Peebles will also consult experts such as accident reconstruction professionals, medical professionals, and vocational experts to support your slip and fall claim.
- Our skilled slip and fall accident lawyers in Port St. Lucie are prepared to aggressively negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf for a fair settlement.
- We are ready to represent you in a trial, if necessary. Our lawyers will file a lawsuit, prepare an airtight case, and prove the defendant was liable for your injury.
What Steps Can Be Taken to Help a Slip and Fall Case?
After sustaining an injury during a slip and fall accident, there are some steps you can take to protect your legal rights, including:
- Gather evidence by taking photos and videos of the scene
- Notify the property owner or the store manager
- Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all eyewitnesses
- Seek medical attention right away. Remember to document your injuries and symptoms from the day of the accident.
- Contact a Port St. Lucie slip and fall accident attorney to find out if you have a case. It would be best if you don’t represent yourself in a slip and fall claim.
How Can a Slip and Fall Accident be Proved?
For you to prove your slip and fall accident as a result of someone else’s negligence, you require the help of a reliable slip and fall accident lawyer near Port St. Lucie. Englander Peebles will help you prove:
- The landlord was aware of the hazard or should have reasonably known about the situation
- The slip and fall victim was not aware of the hazardous situation. There were no warning signs about the hazard that the victim could’ve seen.
How is Liability Determined in a Florida Slip and Fall Case?
Florida is a pure comparative fault jurisdiction. Here, your compensation for a slip and fall claim is reduced by your percentage of fault. This means that if your fault for the accident is 20%, you’ll only be eligible to receive 80% of the compensation awarded.
When filing a slip and fall accident injury claim in Florida, here are some questions you may face from the property owner, the defendant’s attorneys, and the insurance company:
- Did you have a valid reason for being at the premises during your slip and fall accident?
- Would an individual of reasonable caution under similar circumstances have avoided the dangerous situation?
- Did the property owner warn visitors about the hazard?
- Did you engage in any risky activities that resulted in your accident?
The answers you give could severely affect your personal injury claim in Port St. Lucie, FL. However, by hiring a reputable personal injury law firm in Florida, you can rest assured that our attorneys will go above and beyond to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Case Worth?
After a slip and fall accident, an injured victim would want to know how much they’ll receive for their damages. Unfortunately, no one can determine how much your case is worth without looking at the facts of the case. Certain factors mainly affect how much you’ll receive after a slip and fall injury in Port St. Lucie, including:
The Extent of Your Injuries
The foremost consideration after an injury is the severity of a victim’s injuries. For instance, a victim with a flesh wound or broken leg will most likely recover less compensation than an individual who suffers a catastrophic injury like a spinal cord injury. Permanent and severe injuries will warrant a higher settlement figure.
After a slip and fall accident, you may incur significant medical bills when treating your injuries. Complicated treatment procedures may be quite costly. Your employer-provided or private insurance may offset some bills but still leave you dealing with other treatment-related costs.
If your injury prevents you from returning to work, you may be entitled to more compensation. The longer you stay at home or in the hospital due to your injury, the more compensation you’ll receive. Lost time from work translates to lost wages due to your slip and fall accident.
These are some of the factors that may affect the value of your claim. To get a better understanding of how much you should anticipate, reach out to a knowledgeable slip and fall accident lawyer today. At Englander Peebles, our attorneys are ready to help you understand the types of damages you may be entitled to in your personal injury claim.
Are There Any Time Limits for Filing a Slip and Fall Lawsuit in Florida?
You have four years from the date of your slip and fall accident to file a claim. Remember, your lawyer should conduct an investigation, gather evidence, look into your medical records, and prove fault. This will take time. Reach out to a seasoned slip and fall accident lawyer in Port St. Lucie now before it’s too late to file your claim.
Our Port St. Lucie Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Will Fight for Your Compensation
Accidents happen every day in Florida. It’s wrong to assume responsibility for a slip and fall accident caused by another party’s negligence. If you or someone you care about has suffered an injury after slipping and falling, you should contact a reputable Port St. Lucie slip and fall accident attorney.
You have legal rights that should be respected and upheld. It is the legal responsibility of property owners to offer a duty of care to all visitors within their premises. Englander Peebles could help you if a property owner breached their duty of care, resulting in a slip and fall accident.
Contact us today for our legal team to begin working on your slip and fall claim. All liable parties should be held accountable for their reckless or negligent actions or inactions. We can help you accomplish that. Get started now to schedule your free case review.