Fort Lauderdale Jet Ski Accident Lawyer
People love to ride Jet Skis, WaveRunners and Sea-Doos in the Fort Lauderdale area. But as fun as different types of personal watercraft (PWC) can be, they can also be highly dangerous. Recent statistics show that roughly one in five reportable boating accidents in Florida involves a PWC – with a rented PWC involved in nearly half of those accidents.
If you recently suffered injuries in a jet ski accident in Fort Lauderdale, the personal injury attorneys of Englander Peebles want to help you. Another person’s negligence may have caused your injuries. While you focus on your health, we will take care of all aspects of your jet ski accident claim and aggressively pursue the compensation that you deserve. Contact us today to learn more about your rights and options in a free consultation about your case.
Table of Contents
Why Do Jet Ski Accidents Happen in Florida?
More than half of all PWC accidents in Florida involve collisions with another vessel, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reports. As we have seen through the years at Englander Peebles, these crashes are rarely random events. Instead, they often result from:
- Jet ski operator negligence – The operator may lack training and experience, or the operator may be impaired by drugs or alcohol. As a result, the driver may go too fast or fail to pay attention, which can readily lead to a collision with a boat or a fixed object such as a rock, dock or buoy.
- Boater negligence – Just as in car accidents, boaters often cause collisions because they are speeding, intoxicated, distracted or inexperienced. They may also cause collisions because they fail to properly inspect, maintain and equip their vessel. In many cases, boaters fail to keep a proper lookout and fail to see a PWC until it is too late to avoid a collision.
- Rental company negligence – Fort Lauderdale has a major jet ski rental industry. Unfortunately, some of these companies rent out unsafe equipment, or they fail to give proper training and warnings to the people who rent their PWCs. They should be held accountable when accidents occur.
Additionally, many jet ski accidents happen due to a design or mechanical flaw with the PWC. For instance, due to a design defect, a jet ski may be more prone to flip, or its tank may be more likely to explode in a collision.
What Are Your Legal Options After a Jet Ski Accident?
If you suffer injuries in a jet ski accident due to another person’s negligence, your legal options will depend on who was at fault. For example, your options may include:
- Jet ski operator – You may be able to bring an insurance claim against the negligent PWC operator or the owner of the PWC who negligently entrusted the vessel to the person who caused your accident.
- Boater – If a negligent boater caused your crash, you may be able to bring a claim that seeks damages through the boater’s liability insurance.
- Rental company – A jet ski rental company may try to avoid liability by arguing that you signed a written waiver. Don’t take the rental company’s word. Instead, you should allow an attorney from Englander Peebles to review the waiver and the other facts of your case. You may have the right to file a claim through the rental company’s commercial liability coverage.
- Manufacturer – If a defectively designed or manufactured jet ski or jet ski part caused your accident, then you would bring a different type of case against the manufacturer and/or seller. This type of case is called a product liability claim.
At Englander Peebles, our goal will be to maximize your compensation. In order to reach that goal, we will work hard to identify every liable party and all insurance coverage available to cover your damages from your PWC accident.
What Types of Damages Can You Recover for a Jet Ski Crash?
Our attorneys realize how jet ski accidents can result in life-changing injuries. These injuries often result from the impact or from jet ski operators and passengers getting thrown from the PWC. For this reason, traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury are highly common in these crashes. Additionally, victims also tend to suffer harm from drowning. All too often, PWC crashes are fatal.
If you were hurt in a jet ski accident in the Fort Lauderdale area, you can count on our team at Englander Peebles to pursue all damages which you are entitled to receive, which may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Diminishment of future earning ability
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Punitive damages (in exceptional cases)
- Wrongful death damages (if your loved one died in the jet ski accident).
How Can a Lawyer Help After Your Jet Ski Accident?
When you seek compensation after a jet ski accident, you will have to deal with the insurance companies. At Englander Peebles, we know how insurance companies work. We will thoroughly investigate your jet ski accident case and establish the facts. As a result, we will be ready to make a solid claim for damages on your behalf, and we will be prepared to counter any argument which the insurance company makes to pay a lower amount or avoid payment altogether.
We will also handle every aspect of your case. So, you can rest easy and focus on your health. We will make sure to keep you updated at all times, and we will always be available to answer your questions and discuss your case. We take pride in providing the highest level of client service.
Our Fort Lauderdale Jet Ski Accident Attorneys Are Here for You
It all starts with a free consultation. If you believe that you or a loved one suffered injuries in a jet ski accident through no fault of your own, contact Englander Peebles today for a review of your case. We can examine the facts and help you to understand your legal rights and the options available to you. We will charge no costs or fees unless we secure compensation for you.