Slips and falls happen all the time – whether caused by a wet floor, an uneven pathway, or an unseen obstruction. If you’re lucky, you’ll escape with just embarrassment. Unfortunately, many people who end up tripping or slipping and falling suffer severe injuries ranging from broken bones to spinal injuries to traumatic brain damage. If you or a loved one has suffered any injuries as a result of a slip and fall accident in a public place like a shopping center, rented property, or anywhere else for example because of a poorly maintained staircase or spillage, you may be able to lodge an injury compensation claim.
Over the years our Coral Springs slip and fall lawyers have helped many victims claim fair compensation for slip and fall accidents. We take our time to know you personally and document how your injuries have impacted your life – that’s how we will build a strong case and obtain maximum compensation for you. For a free initial consultation, please call our injury attorneys at (954) 231-1384 today.
Table of Contents
What Are The Most Common Slip And Fall Accidents?
Understanding commons types of slip and fall accidents or rather, common slip and fall hazards can go a long way in helping you communicate the chain of events of the accident and your injuries to your doctor and Coral Springs slip and fall injury lawyer. This can allow your attending physician to build a better treatment program, and can also help your lawyer to better prepare your injury compensation claim.
Some of the more common ways that slip and fall accidents occur include:
- Poorly lit areas
- Slippery floors due to spills or naturally slick surfaces like glass and tiles
- Cluttered floors, hallways, aisles, and other walkways
- Icy walkways
- Damaged or poorly maintained walkways or sidewalks that have potholes, cracks, and gaps
- Unstable surfaces such as uneven paving stones or a bunched carpet
- Malfunctioning escalators, ramps, and stairs with loose handrails or stair treads
- Obstacles in pathways such as electric cables
How Can A Coral Springs Slip And Fall Attorney Help Me With My Case?
Businesses and their insurance providers engage in all sorts of tactics to try and avoid liability in slip and fall claims. Even if you think that the property owner’s fault is clear, these types of accidents require thorough investigation and the help of experts. It can be difficult to prove negligence and establish fault.
If you or a family member was injured after a trip, slip, or fall accident on another’s property, whether a residence or business, you should consider talking to a local reputable injury lawyer to protect your rights. Some of the things your slip and fall lawyer can help you with include:
- Investigate the accident site
- File report with appropriate parties
- File motions for the preservation of evidence
- Determine the exact cause of your fall
- Gather medical records, receipts, witness statements, and other crucial documents that show a link between your injuries and the accident
- Work with experts to show the liability of the defendant and the impacts of the injuries on your physical, mental and financial state
- Handle negotiations with insurance companies and if negotiations fail, represent your in court
Regardless of how clear-cut your case seems, it is a good idea to seek professional legal advice to understand your rights and help you obtain the much-needed compensation.
What Steps Can Be Taken To Help My Slip And Fall Case?
When you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, you need professional legal counsel to help protect your rights and gain back some stability in the face of life-changing injuries, crippling medical bills, and lost income. But before you go visit a lawyer, there’s a lot you can do to help your slip and fall lawyer build your case and get you the maximum compensation you’re entitled to.
If you slip, trip, and fall in a public place, and suffer injuries, you can be your best advocate:
- If your injuries need immediate medical attention, get it ASAP!
- Take photos of the site of the accident and hazards that caused it
- Report the accident to the manager
- Take photos of your injuries
- Note down the names, addresses, and mobile numbers of witnesses
- Preserve financial records related to the treatment of your injuries
- If you can, check to see if the hazard has been addressed right away
How Is Liability Or Fault Determined In A Florida Slip And Fall Case?
In Florida, all personal injury cases, including slip and fall accidents are handled under the principle of comparative negligence. Under this principle, the liability of each party is based upon their respective role or contribution to the accident.
Proving that the owner of a building or the management team was negligent is not straightforward. To show that the defendant was negligent you will need to show:
The defendant (it could be the property owner, the local municipal, etc.) knew about the hazardous condition or should have reasonably been aware of its existence.
The victim did not know about the hazardous conditions or there were no warning signs put up.
You will also have to show how complicit your actions were in your slip and fall accident. You may be asked to answer questions such as:
- Did you have good reason to be on the defendant’s premises at the time the accident occurred?
- Would an individual of reasonable caution – who was not distracted in any way – in the same scenario have noticed and avoided the hazardous condition?
- Did the owner of the property give a warning of the hazardous condition that led to your accident?
- Were you engaged in anything that could have contributed to your slip and fall accident?
How Much Is My Slip And Fall Case Worth?
Several factors will determine how much compensation you get – and one of the top factors is how well your lawyer gets to know you and your case. Other factors include the types and severity of your injuries and your contribution to the slip and fall accident.
Since Florida is a comparative negligence state, the relative degree of your role in preventing the accident will affect how much you can recover as compensation. The perception of the jury (in case your claim goes to trial), and even the wealth of the defendant can also influence the value of your claim.
Slip and fall victims can recover the following damages:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost earnings
- Reduced life enjoyment
- Loss regarding future earnings
- Rehabilitation costs
- Home help
- Loss of physical or mental capacity
Are There Time Limits For Filing A Slip And Fall Lawsuit In Florida?
Yes. There’s a strict four-year time limit, from the date of the injury, to lodge a slip and fall injury claim in Florida. There are situations where exceptions are made, but based on our decades of experience, our Englander Peebles lawyers would advise you to move quickly and make your injury claim as soon as possible. The process is not a walk in the park, so the sooner a slip and fall attorney reviews your case, the better.
Review Your Claim With Our Coral Springs Slip And Fall Lawyers
Did you suffer injuries from a slip and fall accident? It’s likely the accident and your injuries could have been prevented! With our Coral Springs, Florida slip and fall lawyers, it’s easy to figure out where you stand and get the compensation you need to recover. Contact our injury law firm at (954) 231-1384 for a free no-risk consultation regarding your case.